Monday, September 30, 2013

The Best.

After more than 6 weeks in the field, the moment you've all been waiting for has come.
First baptism moment!

On Saturday, Dilan was baptized. (If you don't know that story, read the email from a couple weeks ago). It really was so amazing to see a person take that first great step. Everyone needs these amazing covenants in their life, whether they realize it or not. And the confirmation yesterday in Sacrament meeeting was equally amazing. They aren't kidding when they say ''how great shall be your joy.''

I was so happy about the baptism that this whole week was fantastic. Most of our weekly goals and plans went up in flames, but I didn't care. Attitude is everything and I believe that when we look for the fun moments, we will find them. 

The truly funny moments in the mish haven't been in great abundance so far, mostly because I've been trying to find the balance between being myself and maintaining the dignity of a missionary. But this week has some moments that I think are worth sharing. 

First off, Victoria got mixed up in her reading assignment. We've been meeting with her for a long time so we usually just leave her a chapter in the Book of Mormon and talk about it the next time. We left in a hurry one day, putting a bookmark in Ether 12. It's a fantastic chapter about the essentials of the Gospel and the importance of faith. However, when we returned the next day, she was extremely confused. ''I read the chapter,'' she said. ''Puro guerra!'' (or ''nothing but war''). She thought we left Ether 11, which just talks about wars and rejecting the prophets. She said she thought maybe we we  were preparing her to have to fight in the church and that she had her whole speech ready for the Relief Society if necessary. Oh goodness, we laughed and laughed and laughed. She now has read Ether 12 twice, so everything's been cleared up.

Then, we had a Family Home Evening with a less active family. I was about to say the closing prayer, and the kids wanted me to do it in English. I was all happy for a minute, like ''wooo this'll be great! I haven't prayed out loud in English since 2 months ago!'' But my excitement dissipated when I realized that I literally couldn't remember how. I can still talk in English, but praying for some reason was nearly impossible. The kids started laughing when I said ''we thank thee that we had this noche...no...family home evening'' and from there I just couldn't do it. I gave up and finished in Spanish.

I'm still learning so much every day here. There are so many basic concepts of the Gospel, scriptures I've heard every week since primary, things I thought I understood that I'm just barely starting to get. I am so grateful to be here as a missionary. The Lord gives us so much more than we can even recieve if we are willing to do what he asks. 

The other Hnas bought us a celebration cake! Or, in other words, we look for any excuse to enjoy the amazing creations of the panaderías of Chile.


 Love you all! Stay strong and don't forget what's most important! 

Love, Hermana (I was going to put a nickname here but I read yesterday in the missionary handbook that we don't use nicknames) Glazier


No comments:

Post a Comment