Monday, September 16, 2013

[way more than 17] Miracles

Before I explain the title, I have some shout outs!

S/O to Laurence, my Elder brother (get it? older and an elder? don't judge me just cause my humor's a little rusty). He goes home THIS VERY WEEK!!! He had an excellent 2 years of missionary service in Brasil, and I look up to him a lot. Miss you bro. Say hi to the fam for me. Give them 90 million hundred hugs. 

S/O to America for having peanut butter (I have literally been searching for weeks. Even the biggest stores in Concepción don't have it). 

S/O to the people who've written me *cough cough* that means "whisper in" for those who haven't. Joking. I really do appreciate every email and letter so much though. Love you people. 

Aaaand now, my week!

This week was truly miraculous. Hna Suárez told me the first day I got here - "Vamos a ver milagros." (We will see miracles). I was in this dreamlike crazed-happy state because I had just gotten to Chile and I was all "YEAH! I CAN'T WAIT! LET'S GO SEE SOME MIRACLES! I'M A MISSIONARY! WHERE AM I?!"
                                                                                     Slightly-sunburned-selfie from a normal day.

But she wasn't kidding. 
To be fair, basically everything here is a miracle. The fact that we ever find where we need to go, that anyone lets us into their house, that we are able to do this work in general. But sometimes a really big thing happens and the only word to describe it is MIRACULOUS. 

Let's start with Victoria. We met her one night when we were on our way home and we just stopped her in the street. Any missionary will tell you - street contacting rarely goes anywhere. But asked us to PLEASE visit her. WOW. That basically never happens. She was going through a really hard time and we showed up at a prime moment. That was a few weeks ago. We've been meeting with her a lot since then and the change in her countenance is dramatic. We know for a fact that the Lord put her in our path that night.
But,at the same time, huge challenges kept coming up that were difficult for both us, the missionaries, and her. Just "artos" challenges (arto is a Chilean word for "a lot"). I have learned, through visiting with her, that any doubt can be overcome through an open heart on one side and a humble but powerful testimony on the other.

                                                                                  We went contacting one day to the "nueva población"
                                                                                  where it's a bunch of identical houses. They're white
                                                                                    with red, yellow, green, or blue accents. Wild.

Next is Dilan, a stellar 13-year-old. We had been praying to find people who could be baptized this month, meaning they have to have attended church in the past (they have to attend 3 times before baptism). Most of our planning was just searching the area book for people who attended before. Then Hna Suárez had a dream in which she saw a street name written on a paper. The next day we found Dilan's teaching record in the area book - the Elders before him had met with him but for whatever reason, never followed up. [enter super awesome hermanas]. Hna Suárez looked at the paper and just said, "Hermana, that's the writing I saw in my dream." We went to visit him the next day, OBVIOUSLY. He agreed to be baptized this month! And he came to church yesterday even though he wasn't feeling well. Stellar kid. The Lord really wanted us to find him. 
(Moral of that story: ELDERS!!! FOLLOW UP!!!)

                                                                        Scenes of Chile - everything's decked out in preparation for
                                                        18 of September (the big holiday here) and a Panadería sign, of course.

Anyway, love you all, keep doing good things back home. I miss you and pray for you!

Much love, 

Hermana Glazier

No comments:

Post a Comment