Monday, September 9, 2013

Hello All!

I can't believe tomorrow marks ONE MONTH in Chile. I think I need to work harder because I thought for sure by now I would have this all figured out and know exactly what I'm doing. 

Ha. Jokes. I've come a million miles from when I arrived. In fact, I reached a great milestone last night - for the first time ever, we had a lesson where I actually understood everything the person said (well, enough that I could respond with something related to the same topic) and I talked without Hna Suárez having to indicate it was my turn. 

But I'm not perfect yet. I completely zoned out during our last lesson of the night. Hna Suárez turned to me so I could talk and I froze. I literally had no idea what they had been talking about. The, the miracle of the day - the lady's phone rang and she went to go get it. That was like my warning. 1 more strike and I'm out. I'm slowly learning my lesson.

Hna Suárez and I have been trying to figure out what we need to do differently. Once again, no investigators attended church yesterday. That's the interesting thing about the work here. We keep finding great people who have a firm belief in God. Most people here do. But committing to church attendance is a different story. And Someone being home at the time of an appointment is more like a special treat than the norm. And let's not even talked about how many un-married couples living together with several children. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the people here. And I admire that so many of them have dedicated faith in God. We just have to face the challenge of explaining the importance of commitment. 

Though we're facing some roadblocks with investigators, I am really loving our ward. I've been playing the piano every week in Sacrament meeting and yesterday I even gave a talk! The program was me, the Hna Suárez, then the Ward Mission Leader. (Side note, we really look forward to correlation with the Ward Mission Leader because he and his wife make the most amazing treats that they sell in the Centro. I need to learn how to make them for when I come home!). The great part is, I wasn't even super nervous! But I know for a fact my American accent is much worse when I'm in front of people. 

Saturday we began a piano class. It was a humbling experience. Hna Suárez doesn't know piano, and I don't know piano words in Spanish. I did my best, and we're going to continue each week. My plan to become a teacher after the mission has been reaffirmed. If I can do this in Spanish, it'll be a breeze in English. 

Love you all, miss you all, don't forget to appreciate America milk in gallons!

Love, Hna Glazier


No comments:

Post a Comment