Monday, September 23, 2013

Independence Day



I have officially completed my first transfer in the mission! Wow! As I expected, I will not be following the legendary example of my cousin Hermana Oldroyd. I will have 6 more weeks of training before switching companions. The other Hnas who live with us are staying too, so nothing really feels different.


Big news - I finally ate empanadas in Chile!
September 18 is Chile's independence day, and it's a huge deal. Basically a week long empanada-fest. The missionary work part was a little slow for a couple days in there, but we actually accomplished more than past weeks. I know now, more than ever, that it's all about your attitude (how many lessons you can teach, how many empanadas you can eat, it's all important). 


We're finally figuring out how to work with the members more. People back home, this is my invitation/encouragement of the week - find any way you can to be involved and help out with the missionary effort. Every member of the church has something incredibly valuable that needs to be shared.

Today is the first p-day of my mission that we didn't have to go to Concepción for a leader retreat, something for new missionaries, visa stuff, or whatever else. We went to the beach in Cochologue. So gorgeous. Maybe someday there'll be a beach in my ward boundaries and I'll be able to go swimming . . . 

I want to share a scripture with everyone this week. In my personal study I'm reading the New Testament. In Mark's account of when Jesus was calling his apostles, it says:

"...and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder"
- Mark 3:17

I have no idea what the significance of that is, I just thought it was pretty cool. Reading the Bible (especially in Spanish) is quite the adventure. 

I am improving every day with Spanish, attitude, staying awake, and being a missionary in general. And I am so grateful for the decision I made to serve a mission! Woohoo!

Have a great week, everyone. 

Love, Hermana Glazier

No comments:

Post a Comment