Monday, September 2, 2013

Acostumbrarse

Howdy folks.

The subject line means "to get used to". That's basically the theme of the week - I'm really starting to get used to this and feel like a missionary. 

I realized that I haven't talked about the language much, even though that's the hardest thing to get used to! I'm actually doing fine. I'm talking more in lessons, and I'm not quite as lost in meetings and everything. But Hna Suárez and I have this problem where we're really good at finding people who like to talk for a really long time and tell really long stories. Luckily they look at Hna Suárez when they're talking, because I usually fall asleep. Yes, in lessons. I know, it's bad (it's usually just when we visit members, though). I always have this huge paradox - if I use enough energy to concentrate on what they're saying, it exhausts my brain and I nod off right in front of them. But if I think about something else to keep myself awake, I have no idea what to do when it's my turn to talk. We have a goal this week to not ask questions that lead to 45 minute-long stories. We're on the Lord's time and there are people to find!

For the most part I can understand now. But people here always drop the s's in words, which confuses me occasionally. One member lady was telling us about her life and said she married a "pescador", which means fisherman. I thought she said "pecador", which means sinner. I thought we were being used as like marriage counseling or something. Turns out it was just a really long story. 

The work is ineresting right now. We have a few more people with baptismal dates, and some came to church this week! Woohoo! Some of our people have huge complications keeping them from baptism so we're continuing to work with them. 

We had another mini-cambio this week (Hna Suárez is the zone Sister Training Leader so I have one every week) and a conference with Elder Gonzalez of the Seventy. That was great, even though we had to get up at 4 and subsequently I was falling asleep the whole time.

Overall I'm doing great! My love of Sacrament meeting has increased 100 million fold. It's a great time to re-charge, receive inspiration, and just be a part of the ward. 

Today we had a super fun zone activity at the beach. No touching the water, but we had a great time playing volleyball and [of course] eating. Gorgeous. 

Miss you all! Love you all! Be good. 

Love, Hna Glazier

P.s. It appears that the mail strike is over! Some of you should be expecting to see letters soon. (Soon being like within the next several months, of course). 






No comments:

Post a Comment