Monday, July 28, 2014

Classic






 Well. This week I learned a little bit more Spanish, tried a new dessert, saw a miracle (being able to eat the biggest plate of mashed potatoes I have seen in my life so as not to offend an important member of the branch), saw lots more miracles (arriving just when someone needs us), had a mini-cambio in which we went to a member's house way out in the campo (farmlands, country, don't know exactly how to translate it), and more!
We did lots of service this week, but only because the Elders are good enough to invite us. I think that everyone thinks Hermanas can't do service because we're delicate or we always wear skirts or something. Who knows. The point is, we got to the house where we were going to paint with a less active member, and she said "oh, hermanas, you're not going to paint too, are you?" and we said "uh, yes, of course!" I was thinking "why on earth would I be here in my sweats right now if I wasn't going to paint your house?" but whatever. After suggesting that maybe we could just help her in the kitchen, she let us paint too. I'm starting to understand why it was hard to find service opportunities in Cauquenes, where there were 4 sisters and no Elders...
Okay, the reason this email is entitled "Classic" is because of the classic-ness of our weekend here. We were basically walking around in the rain the whole weekend knocking on doors without much success. It was actually fun because it wasn't tooooo cold. There was one moment where I just felt like such a classic missionary. We were walking through about 7 inch-deep water that had flooded the street, looking for people to talk to to meet our goal of contacts for the week (we needed 3 more) and there was no one around, and we only had about 10 minutes left before it was time to go home. As we started thinking about which way we could go, where there might be someone outside (pretty rare on a rainy Sunday night), every dog in the street started barking at us. I wanted to shout "Yeaaaaaah the mission!!!" but I did want to wake anyone up so I just kind of half-shouted it. Oh how the mission has changed me (previous me would have just shouted it).

Anyway the thing I'm learning here is how to see the positive. There's nothing that lasts forever. For example in a few more months I will be dying of heat, and my clothes will probably be wet with sweat instead of rainwater. (Poor clothes, when will the ever be dry?). But it doesn't matter. I don't have to think very hard to see all the blessings and good things. For example, I have great boots that kept my feet warm and dry until the very end when water was splashing over the top (couldn't handle the 7-inch deep thing). Also, we contacted lots of great people that we have appointments with for other days. We also have a firm resolve to try new things to avoid having the same situation happen again. Also, at the very least I can say I had these classic mission experiences of walking for hours in the pouring rain. Sometimes I just remember, whoah, I'm actually a missionary! Yes! And the time passes too fast. Whatever, gotta keep working and nothing else.
Love you all, remember that there's a time for everything - work and play, study and sleep (sometimes not enough time), etc. If you haven't been, go back and read the May General Conference. That's been awesome for me this week. Also, the Book of Mormon! I fiished it about a week ago (first time in Spanish woot!) and I'm starting again now. We have a goal in the Relief Society here to read it all the way through before the end of the year. I'll be giving updates about that. Anyone who cares to join, read with me! And tell me what things you're reading and loving. Oh that book. Changes my life every day.
Love you all, 
Hermana Glazier



No comments:

Post a Comment