Monday, March 17, 2014

My Mom is Old but I Love Her

This is my public shout-out for my lovely mother. Because her birthday was this week I've been thinking a lot about her and I'm really thankful for her. Being in a different country makes you appreciate your mom a lot. Unlike some Elders that I know, I'm not talking about making food and doing laundry (I enjoy those things). I'm talking about always teaching me the Gospel and being home to help me out. Thanks mom! Un abrazo!

Okay, let's talk about missionary work for a second. This week was a lot better. Hermana Marroquin and I are feeling a lot better and we're getting excited! I decided to draw a quick sketch to explain this. (when it goes way up on Sunday night, just ignore the part where it goes back down. It's still almost up at that level!)

The diagram goes WAY up last night because we found someone amazing! That whole time my first 6 weeks here we were kind of just continually working with the same people. One of the hardest parts of this work is letting go of people who aren't progressing towards becoming members of the church, even though we know that it's exactly what they need, and they know that perfectly well. We sometimes have to let go of those people and give them some time. We just have to trust that this isn't their moment but maybe it'll be with the next missionaries. And the Lord knows that it's hard to do that, so He will bless us if we are willing to. We were able to see that this week and we're 1 million percent excited to keep working with the great people who are appearing basically out of nowhere. The Lord always has a better plan than we do!

I feel like I should explain at least one of those "I cried" moments. We were going to go to a special District Conference for all the of the sisters. It was to celebrate the anniversary of the Relief Society and they had a bus for everyone to get there (about an hour away). We had every itention of arriving on time, but we left an appointment late and every colectivo (basically a taxi) that passed was going to some other place and couldn't take us. When we finally got to the church, the other Hermana called to tell us that they had just barely left because all the sisters were REALLY ANGRY and there was nothing else they could do. I didn't cry because they left us. I was okay with having more time to work. But I basically just pictured every sister in the ward mad at us, and that was what killed me. I imagined 6 weeks worth of working with these members and gaining their trust, spending time doing service with them, encouraging them to share the Gospel with their friends, and just barely starting to get them excited to work with us. I saw all of that work tumbling to the ground for being 10 minutes late. I broke down in front of the church. But after working the rest of the day, I felt better. And the other hermanas explained later that actually it was only the hermanas from the neighboring branch were mad, and all the sisters from our ward were defending us. I was so relieved to hear that. Working with the members has to be the biggest part of the work! We are one force, working for the Lord. Working for our Savior who wants EVERYONE to come to Him. 

All my friends and family at home who are members of the church, keep doing what you're doing and even more. There is so much work to do! And it makes us so happy when we do what we're supposed to. 

Love you all!

Hermana Glazier

No comments:

Post a Comment