Monday, March 24, 2014

International Artist

That's what the Branch Mission Leader has been calling me these last couple days. Why? Because we had a branch talent show and I sang in it! 
Okay, when I say I sang in it, I mean the 4 sisters here sang together. We made a parody of "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz called "Con Fe" (with faith). Basically it just talks about the mission, what we do here, and what we left behind. We thought it was pretty clever/funny, and luckily the audience laughed too. (And that was a relief. Sometimes I feel like my sense of humor has been completely consumed in the whole missionary-weirdness-thing). Then I sang a last-minute unprepared sketchy version of "The Scientist" by Coldplay because we had like 5 numbers on the program. Luckily the standard in this talent show wasn't very high. Lessons of the mission: thinking/acting/talking/testifying/even singing on the spot. 

Apart from the talent show and a baptismal service for the other sisters in the branch, this week was pretty slow. We had a ton of great people that we were really excited to teach throughout the week and they all just kind of slowly disappeared from our plans. Weren't ever home, too busy, lots of other things like that. But we are teaching Teresa, our little ray of hope! She's so awesome. Her basically husband (they're not actually married but they've lived together for +/- 15 years) doesn't really approve, but she's decided to be baptized. He showed up at the end of our lesson with her yesterday, creating an extremely uncomfortable situation. In Chile everyone greets each other with a kiss on the cheek, but as sister missionaries we can't greet men that way (rule of the mission). We have to just shake their hand. 97% of they get it and they're like okay sounds good, you're missionaries. But this man didn't like it so much. He was very offended and started rambling about how there's only one God and we can't be discriminatory. I was like yeah okay this person's not going to listen to logic, let's just get outta here. But Teresa was defending us! She kept saying that rules are rules and that she wants to continue in this church, no matter what he says. When we said we wanted to leave them with a prayer he said "no I can say my own prayer" and left. There must be opposition in all things, and I am so proud of Teresa for being so bold. She inspires me to be more firm in what I believe! (Especially not greeting men I don't know with kisses). 

Love you all, I will send pictures next week. 

Love, Hermana Glazier

No comments:

Post a Comment