Monday, October 20, 2014

Papa John's Saves the Day



One of my favorite moments this week was a great "hablar con todos" moment. In our mission there's a big focus on "hablar con todos" - "talk with everyone". We try to contact everyone possible in our path. This week we were walking to an appointment and Hermana Meyer found a Papa John's flyer and starting looking at it. You know, just looking ahead to p-day lunch options. A few minutes after, we went up to a woman waiting at the bus stop to talk to her. Turns out she was a member from a different ward that had been inactive for a while (this happens quite often, in all honesty). As we were inviting her to return to church, a VERY drunk guy came up to us. He started asking us if we had any fliers. He was standing so close that the smell of alcohol started making me nauseous so I turned away to finish talking to the other woman. I assumed my companion had handled it as we walked away about 10 seconds later. As we reached the next block on the street Hermana Meyer said, "I totally just gave that guy a Papa John's flier". "Are you serious?!" I turned around to see him very intently examining the Papa John's flier, saying "que rico!" (like "how delicious!"). I couldn't stop laughing the whole way to our appointment. And the best part it, we found another flier afterwards so we can still order pizza if we want! ha.

We also had a very rainy day this week - it was POURING on an off for about an hour. I like the rain, but every once in a while it's inconvenient. Especially when I run right into a street that I can't see thanks to my umbrella (yes, this really happened. It was like something from a classic comedy show). Luckily, right as it started pouring we were close to a recent convert's house that we were planning on visiting. She's a cute abuelita who recently fell on her stairs and is now in bed with a cast on her foot. We visit her pretty regularly, always with the intention of re-teaching her the lessons. We haven't gotten very far though because she doesn't retain very much and she loves to talk. She cracks me up and she loves when we visit her, even if she doesn't get a lot out of the lessons. The last time we visited her we shared a scripture with her. As she started to read I fell asleep for probably a good 5 minutes. Luckily she didn't notice, as she was still reading when I woke up to see my companion trying not to laugh - our dear abuelita was struggling to read and was replacing basically every other word with a completely different word. Oh how I love these abuelitas!

Today we had a "zone activity" - in other words, the elders all wanted to play soccer. We ended up going even though we knew we'd probably be the only hermanas. I didn't even have my tennis shoes because I accidentally left them in the mission office after last week's zone activity. But it was still fun. After a lesson about talents in church I'm determined to develop my sports "talents"! I may not be a natural like my siblings...but I want to try more. Hopefully they'll teach me when I get home!

Well, I'm short on time...I will hopefully have more to tell next week. Love you all, the work is true, stay strong, be good. 

Love, Hermana Glazier

Made a diligent effort to take photos this week...haha. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment