Monday, November 18, 2013

Politics? Ay, no.

I love the mission. I'm learning so much that I can't even explain. Every day is so hard but so good. 

This week Chile had elections. I literally know nothing about Chilean politics. Partly because we aren't allowed to talk about politics as missionaries, partly because I don't know political words in Spanish, so even when people talk about it against our wishes, I don't understand. We dedicated this Thursday to contacting in a particular street, and were literally interrupted by a parade. A parade of cars with flags and political banners, honking and blasting music. There are some things you just can't even plan for. 

We also only had Sacrament meeting this Sunday, due to the elections. Every 3rd Sunday we have mission-themed Sacrament meeting. And since we only had the one meeting, we decided to do a musical number with us 4 Hermanas and the ward missionaries. We talked a little bit before the meeting, and planned to sing a hymn. I was playing prelude when the 1st counselor, who was conducting, asked me what hymn we would sing. I thought he meant the musical number, so I told him. But he was actually asking for what could be the opening hymn. When we started the meeting and he announced we would sing 163, Mirad Reales Huestes, we all looked at each other not knowing what to do. I was at the piano and decided to just go with it, assuming that we wouldn't have an intermediate musical number. But they still announced later that we would be singing. Yikes. We started searching frantically for a hymn and finally chose one. When it was time, we all went forward to present our "special musical number". It was indeed quite special. Hermana Rodriguez played a beautiful flute introduction to "El Amor del Salvador" (Our Savior's Love). But when it was time to start singing, I didn't hear anything. There was a miscommunication and the others were looking at "Dios da Valor" (God Speed the Right). We got to about the 3rd verse before everyone figured it out. Hermana Rodriguez stopped playing the flute halfway through the first verse to start singing, and I tried to sing as well. This lowered the quality of the piano playing greatly. I also don't know the words. It became apparent that the others were not, in fact, familiar with that hymn. In my 3 months here in Tomé, we've been gaining the trust of the members. They've seen my progress as a missionary and with my Spanish, they've seen us bring people to church and have been with us in lessons. But as we were singing that hymn, I saw all that trust tumbling down like the tower of Babel. We aren't sure now if we should do another musical number to cover up the damage, or if we should just request emergency transfers. 

I'm definitely lying about the emergency transfers part. I love every day in Tomé more. I'm also really grateful to be here because it doesn't get too hot. The sun is really strong, though, due to Chile's location and elevation. Basically everyone we talk to, members, investigators, people we talk to in the street, asks me if I use sunscreen. "Yes," I reply. Did you hear that, mom? I use SPF 50 as my daily face moisturizer. 

Really, folks, I never know what to say at this point. I could tell you about every person I've talked to here and what I've learned from them, but obviously there's not time for that. I'll just say that I learned this week a lot about the importance of preparation, the blessings of diligence, the difference an attitude makes, and what it really means to act in faith. 

I love you all and I hope this email finds you incredibly well. 

Love, 

Hermana Glazier



No comments:

Post a Comment