Monday, October 21, 2013

Pulgas in my Pantys


Don't worry, "pantys" means "tights" here. But obviously you understand why Hermana Harris and I laughed a ton when another Hermana said that exact phrase. (Pulgas means fleas. Speaking of which, I haven't had a huge problem. I got a few bites, but I started actually using bug repellent at night and I'm good now).

That's the subject for this week because this week was just plain weird. 90% of our appointments fell, and we were usually without solid plans. The weather kept changing suddenly from hot to rainy. We had to spend a lot of time in a new population with rows and rows of completely equal houses. They're like white boxes with one color. It feels like being in a movie from the future. Our Sunday was spent walking down eerily deserted rainy streets to pick up investigators for church, none of which ended up coming. And best of all, we had the lesson of all lessons. There's a couple that we had visited one time and were really interested. When we went back, however, there was another person. THE BROTHER. 

I'm close to 97.9% sure that he was drunk. And I'm 10,000% sure that he's not interested in going to church. But he was very eager to participate in the lesson. It only took him about 5 minutes to get to a marriage proposal. He asked Hna Suárez first, then me, and when we said no, asked if we would both marry him. He continued to talk the rest of the time we were there. The couple laughed, but still seemed interested, so we explained the Book of Mormon as quickly as possible and claimed we had another appointment (the fact that all our other plans had fallen through is irrelevant here). I grabbed my scriptures, grabbed my bag, and as soon as we were out of the apartment literally ran down the stairs into a rainstorm. We continued walking, laughing, questioning what in the world just happened. It wasn't the most productive night, but we learned a few valuable lessons. First of all, the Spirit is absolutely essential in lessons. Second, never assume anything about people or lessons prematurely. Third, beware the drunk brother!

I hope all is well back home, and I hope your week was less strange than mine. Love you all, don't forget to pray!

Hermana Glazier

Photos: I was super lazy about photos this week, so here's a foggy view from the future-tupperware-house population.

No comments:

Post a Comment