Monday, December 9, 2013

¿Eres feliz? (Are you happy?)

I'm actually kind of sad in this moment because I can't send photos right now. This computer has issues. Next week I'll send double. But the question "are you happy" extends to much more than that. 

That was a question that a very Catholic man asked me last night. We were talking to him outside his house when I said something about how the Gospel gives us the way we can be happy. He looked at me doubtfully, and asked me several times if I was really happy. I said I was, repeatedly. He claimed that we can't really actually know true happiness. I didn't know how to fully communicate my feelings on this subject. The true Gospel of Jesus Christ really does bring true happiness. Remember that. 

Don't be offended, family, but I actually am not too homesick right now even though it's Christmastime. The truth is that it doesn't feel like Christmas because it's just starting to get warm here. It's obviously a little bit harder to focus, but I was never very good at focusing to begin with. Especially with the 6 hermanas in one house...I'm trying to find the balance between enjoying the missionary experience and losing myself in the work. Sometimes it feels like one endless gospel-themed sleepover party. But we're all pals. If anyone leaves this transfer we will all cry our eyes out. 

This Sunday was quite the day. I will not try to pretend that I got anything out ofSunday School or Relief Society. We spent the whole time calling people who were going to come to church, organizing a baptismal service, preparing a musical number for Sacrament meeting as well as another one for said baptismal service. On top of that I gave my 2nd ever talk in Spanish! The whole day was an example of progress. Even though everything was crazy and a few things slipped through the cracks, it was great. The baptism was Marcelo - the youngest kid in a family that has been less-active for a few years. We've been working with them a lot and they've progressed a ton. I love the Orellana family - and not just because they always give us food when we visit them.

It was also a time when I was able to see progress in myself. I didn't even really write out my talk. That's something I used to be too afraid to do, even in English. I also sang a solo - we sang "Joy to the World" and I sang the first verse in English. (We're becoming pros at arranging a hymn or primary song, recording the piano part on the electric piano, and singing together).

I love you all, remember what's most important. Don't forget that when we celebrate Christmas, we celebrate that we are able to live forever in happiness as long as we make a few small sacrifices. 

Much love,

Hermana Glazier

No comments:

Post a Comment